If your ex spouse does not help with the children, one of the first things you will need to do is look at any prior documents concerning the case. Generally, there will be a divorce decree, and there may be a separate child custody agreement. Courts may also attach st andard orders regarding custody, support and visitation to the decree.

A decree will list the terms that divorced parents must abide by, such as paying for child support. Failure to pay child support may result in civil penalties such as court costs and jail and can even cause the non-paying party to be charged with a felony if they have not paid any child support over a long period of time.

The first thing to do is to send the non-paying parent a request in writing along with any unpaid bills and a request to pay them immediately. That way your spouse is on notice that you intend to take legal action if the bills are not paid. If the bills are still not paid, you may consider hiring an attorney to enforce the terms of the decree. An attorney can draft pleadings outlining what your ex spouse was ordered to pay and how the ex spouse has failed to meet his or her obligations ordered by the court.

Anyone looking for help with this issue may wish to call The Z and Law Firm┬áin Sugar L and – Richmond, Texas. Sugar L and – Richmond family law attorneys can assist with drafting the appropriate documents to get the case heard by a judge in family court. Sugar L and – Richmond family law attorneys can also subpoena witnesses, take depositions, and make the appropriate arguments to a judge to win a contempt case and enforce the terms of a prior divorce decree.

Our Family Fighting For Your Family!

Call today for a free consultation.

Schedule Your Free Case Consultation

Call Us Anytime

We are available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at 281-751-6466.

Proudly Serving Ft. Bend

We proudly serve all of Fort Bend County and surrounding areas.

Initial Consultation

Come and find out why its so important to choose the best lawyer around.

Copyright © 2017 Zand Law Firm, PLLC - All rights reserved